Friday, March 25, 2011

Where is the Justice for the Buxton Puppy Mill Dogs?


I am still reeling from the news that there will be no justice for the nearly 350 dogs from the Buxton puppy mill case. There were nearly 250 dogs seized in deplorable conditions, and another nearly 100 born in state custody. Just about every Maine dog person I know volunteered time to help these dogs. For a few hours a week for several months towards the end of the case I cleaned kennels and did some basic training at a facility in Portland that had been converted to emergency kennel space. If my memory serves me correctly, Happy Tails housed about 150 dogs. The rest of the dogs were farmed out to various rescue and local shelters and foster homes.



They had volunteers like myself cleaning and feeding, they had volunteers from Windham Correctional, and there was staff sent over from various local shelters and a few people were hired specially to work there. It was a full time job for I am guessing about 25 people who worked daily with the dogs. More in the beginning. Way more. I was never ever ever in the building when a dog wasn't being treated by either a Vet tech or a Vet.

THAT IS ONE OF THE REASONS THEY CALL IT A PUPPY MILL.

There were way more than that in the beginning, I am just telling my version that I saw first hand toward the end. Those dogs were a mess!!! We cared for half of the amount of dogs housed in Buxton. How exactly we would wonder could the Frasces with just a few people on staff care for all of those animals, and all that waste they generted?
Oh that's right.

THEY DIDN'T!

THAT IS ONE OF THE REASONS THEY CALL IT A PUPPY MILL.

For as long as I live, I will never forget the Shelties that I met at Happy Tails. Their brains had basically snapped and they spun and spun in circles all day- every day. I have friends who adopted some of the hardest fear cases and to some degree have turned them around, but the dogs will never be outgoing friendly life is good kind of dogs.

THAT IS ONE OF THE REASONS THEY CALL IT A PUPPY MILL.

I have friends who adopted what was being sold as pure bred dogs  who were clearly mixes.

THAT IS ONE OF THE REASONS THEY CALL IT A PUPPY MILL.

I had clients from the kennel before they were shut down with life long medical and behavior issues.

THAT IS ONE OF THE REASONS THEY CALL IT A PUPPY MILL.

Today I will be at the press conference in Buxton at the town hall to hear first hand how it is that Maine's infamous puppy millers have been basically set free.

I want to hear first hand how this happened .

I know for a FACT that the state meticulously documented every dog and every move they made inch by inch and step by step. I know for a FACT that there is plenty of evidence to prove animal cruelty. I know for a fact, first hand even though as stated above, I did not see the dogs physically until nearly the end of the dog's time in state care.

If you can think of other first hand accounts of why Buxton was a puppy mill and the Frasces should be prosecuted,please comment below.

If you can attend the press conference today at 11 AM today at Buxton Town Hall to support of all those poor dogs please do so.

Hope to see you there.

Follow @Gooddogz for live tweets.

from NECN yesterday Deal Cut in Enormous Cruetly case

About the photo
Spur was born into state custody and is just about one of the cutest dogs on the planet. He is not however a Mini Aussie, which is what  he would have been sold as.

No comments: