Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Two head shaking stories -Michael Vick "Say No to Subway" and service dogs owners refused service in Dedham Ma


I got two computer alerts  back to back last night at just about the same time. Both had me shaking my head fairly equally in disbelief.

Have you heard that Michael Vick got a BET Award as Subway Sportsman of the year?!?!  Within minutes my  computer screen was filed with emails, forwards, tweets, Face Book links,  and lots and lots of outrage.

I already filled out Subway's on line tell us what you think form.  Oh I told them what I thought.  

No better time to buy local I say.  Within a 2 mile stretch from Subway in either direction, I can choose  local wonderful shops such as  Hoggie's, Full Belly Deli, and  Rosemont, all  on Brighton Ave.  Even if they take the award away, Subway--- I quit you. Done . Finito. You are dead to me.  

What a PR nightmare.  Don't bother  commenting to tell us that Michael Vick did his time.  We are not listening to you. Never have, and never will. 
And no . He. Did. Not. 



Everything you need to know about the boycott can be found on this Facebook Page
Say no to Subway.



The other  story also has me shaking my head takes place in Dedham MA where a dozen people went to a restaurant and were denied service.  They had a reservations and 6 of them  had service dogs. The group was refused service because  of the dogs, which is a clear violation of the American with Disabilities Act and MA law.   They were not denied service because  the dogs were not trained or acting right. They were denied service just because they had service dogs.  I was 80 degrees out and it was even suggested to them that they leave the dogs in the  car.  WTH!!


The Dedham police (illegally!!!)  sided with the restaurant owner.  There are several violations here and it may carry  a jail sentence.  The police and restaurant owner were not within their rights to ask the people for their  dog's paperwork.  The dogs had every right to be there. They were accused of being confrontational .They were hungry!   

You can follow the Twitter Chirp story here,  Very interesting.



I have  been to many  Portland area eateries with  service dogs in training and with a  number of people and their service dogs. One memorable time we were 10 people and 6 dogs without reservations. People welcomed us, our dogs and  our money! Service dogs in training are afforded the same protection under the law in the state of Maine when they are with a trainer.  

The one thing both of the these stories have in common ---  PR nightmare.
Ask me if I care about that in the least?
For me this is not just a case of boycott untill it is made right. This is the stuff of life time bans for me. Plenty of other places to eat. 

update.  CBS Boston picked up the story

That sound you just heard was Quizno's stock going up.













7 comments:

Ashley said...

Absolutely outrageous. Wow.

Erin said...

The Dedham story... the woman who sponsored Rob (current PIT) was one of the people there. It was pretty rediculous!

gooddogz said...

I apologize to the person who left a comment as anonymous. I hit the wrong key on my phone and it went off into cyber space. Anonymous informed us that on the BET web site, the word Subway is no longer in front of Vick's award.

Day late and a dollar short. I did read on line whre people were trying to say that Subway had nothing to do with who the award went to. I disagree. If your cmopany is spending a lot of money of advertising, you do have a say on where your branding goes.

gooddogz said...

Dear Anonymous. Do you have a link? I could not find it on the BET site. Taking your name off after the fact without a press release is BS. I look forward to seeing how they will spin this.

realetybytes said...

Nike And Subway, Like NFL, Support Animal Cruelty and Torture…
On July 15, 2011, In OPINION, Politics, Realety, By Ron Reale
…Let Them Eat Their Shoes And Sandwiches, And Boycott The NFL!
The NFL, Nike and Subway, in an incredibly insulting slap in the face to the 86% of Americans that own and cherish their companion animals, has gone out of its way to hire the only person they feel appropriate to promote their products, Michael “DOGKILLER” Vick.
I guess OJ Simpson wasn’t available.
I figure they want everyone that handles their products to feel just like Michael “DOGKILLER” Vick felt when he had his hands around the throat of his dog, choking the life out of it for losing a fight. As they slide their feet into the shoe, they can think of “DOGKILLER” sliding his two innocent house pets into the pit to be terrorized and ripped apart alive.
With every step of their feet hitting the ground, they can imagine feeling like “DOGKILLER” Vick did as he lifted another fight-losing dog high over his head, and slamming it into the ground repeatedly, until it was dead.
The tingle of excitement they get from wearing new Nikes must make them feel just like “DOGKILLER” felt when he was electrocuting still other dogs that lost fights for him.
As they wash their shoes, they can be just like “DOGKILLER” Vick was, as he drowned his other dog, laughing as it struggled to escape its cruel fate.
Nike is missing a big new market, “DOGKILLER” Trading Cards! Every child under 12 should receive, FREE, a pack of explicit, beautifully embossed, autographed photographs, with hand written descriptions, detailing all of the wonderful, new ways “DOGKILLER” enjoyed, (the quote of one of his friends was that, “he got off” on finding new ways), to kill his animals.
The depraved actions of this thug against animals is similar to the history of many serial killers, so of course the NFL, Subway and Nike, in a craven quest for the almighty dollar, have thrown their support behind this “DOGKILLER”.
Michael “DOGKILLER” Vick is an abomination, a piece of human excrement that deserves to be shunned. His actions are not deserving of a position of respect in the NFL, where children get to see and admire him.
Anyone that would stand next to him on the playing field is an unethical, morally challenged coward. Their paycheck is more important than their being associated with this monster.
I had one pair of Nike sandals. They are in the garbage. I will no longer eat at Subway. I will never again go to an NFL game. I hope the rest of the 86% of animal-loving Americans feel the same.
If not, we are in more trouble as a nation than we think.
Ron Reale
realetybytes.com

susan donovan said...

I raised a 'Guide Dogs for the Blind' puppy here in Las Vegas and, for the most part, could take her everywhere. I was asked to leave a chain drugstore once (which I did w/o comment) & when I got home, called the main office and nicely told them what happened. The next day the local manager was on the phone apologizing and inviting me back anytime with Amera!

PittyLover said...

Completely sickening.
Never eating there again.